This blog write-up discusses obsessive-compulsive disorder. It also discusses the symptoms of such disorders and the line of treatments that are suggested for treating such disorders. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or OCD, is a medical condition that is caused because of anxiety. According to psychologists, OCD is seen in ordinary people, which is quite natural. It is not such a serious issue to get panicked upon. But the treatment for obsessive compulsive disorder should be done properly.
Individuals suffering from such medical conditions exhibit obsessions beyond their control; they exhibit fears, thoughts, and urges. Whenever a person is suffering from OCD, then it is to understand that the medical condition directly interferes with that person’s everyday life. This blog discusses OCD, its symptoms as well as the treatment for obsessive compulsive disorder.
It is a mental illness and is prevalent in those who are suffering from chronic anxiety. This mental disorder makes the patient very obsessive and compulsive.
Individuals are suffering from OCD exhibit distressing and repetitive urges and fears that they can’t control. The obsessive thoughts in patients suffering from the ailment cause anxiety.
To control anxiety and obsessions, individuals resort to certain repetitive
Who is known to suffer from OCD?
OCD can occur to anybody and at any point in time. However, observations suggest that such disorders are more common in young persons. Such medical conditions can affect persons from all backgrounds, races, and sexes.
Causes for OCD
Certain factors are known to cause OCD in people, and they are discussed in brief in this section of the blog.
- Alterations in living situations like getting married, getting divorced, and joining a new school or office.
- Emotional trauma or death of a loved one
- History of abuses
- Low levels of the chemical Serotonin in the blood
- Hyperactivity in certain regions of the brain
- Issues at the workplace or school and particular relationship
Diagnosis of OCD
There are no medical tests to diagnose or detect OCD. Diagnosis of the medical condition is based on certain factors that are discussed as follows:-
- The person suffers from compulsions or obsessions or both
- The compulsions or obsessions consume a lot of time daily
- The compulsions or obsessions cause distress and anxiety and adversely affect the social life of the patient suffering from the medical condition
- The symptoms can’t be explained by any other mental condition
- The symptoms of the medical condition are not caused because of the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other medications.
Treatment for obsessive compulsive disorder:
If an individual is suffering from this type of mental condition (OCD), then they must get in touch with a psychiatrist or a mental health expert. There are certain therapies and medications that the medical professional can administer as far as treatment for obsessive-compulsive disorders is concerned.
These include CBT or cognitive behavioral therapies and medicines like fluoxetine, sertraline, paroxetine, and fluvoxamine. If you are suffering from this mental health condition, then it is advised that you visit Forward Thinking Psychological Services now to avail quality treatments.