Consumption of alcoholic drinks has indeed increased these days. Everyone is already aware of the benefits of consuming wine. However, there are many other alcoholic distilled drinks available. For instance, gin is a distilled alcohol infused with botanicals and prepared from grain. Due to its principal component, juniper berries are most well-known for having a pine flavour. The Latin term Juniperus, which means juniper, is the source of the words genever (old English), genièvre (French), and jenever (Dutch), all of which are used to describe gin. It is most frequently found in three different forms: distilled, redistilled, and compound gin, which is not as well-known.
This drink’s citrusy and spicy herbal flavour makes it distinct from others. If you love the taste of it, here is some good news for you. Moreover, it has fewer calories and less sugar than other alcoholic beverages. It is undoubtedly healthier than consuming alcohol. However, the consumption of alcoholic drinks in check is always recommended. One should not exceed more than one or two drinks. If you are a pregnant woman, then you should avoid consuming it. Drinking gin in moderation can be beneficial to your health. Surprising? Yes, indeed it is. Here are seven health benefits of consuming gin –
SIX BENEFITS –
- Keeps your Skin Youthful – Antioxidants help regenerate cells in the body, thereby providing people with youthful and clear Skin. Juniper berries have antioxidants too. What is better than this? Drinking an alcoholic drink and achieving better skin.
- Provides immunity against kidney diseases – Another great benefit of consuming this drink is reducing water retention. Thereby, the individual urinates more often. This will ensure that all toxins and bacteria in one’s body get expelled promptly. So, less risk of getting diagnosed with kidney or liver diseases.
- Avoids Bloating – Another good thing about preferring gin over other alcoholic drinks is that it prevents bloating. This is because it has diuretic properties. So, unlike most alcoholic beverages, you are unlikely to face any bloating issues after consuming them. Moreover, it is also good for UTIs. This is again because it reduces water retention and releases toxins and harmful chemicals from one’s body.
- It might help you live longer – Yes, you read it right. This alcoholic drink might help you live longer. We have often heard people saying that consuming alcoholic beverages might lead to a decrease in lifespan. However, moderation is the key. Flavonoids present in G&T are good for your heart function. It prevents clogging of arteries, improves blood circulation and prevents heart diseases. Thereby improving longevity.
- Can be consumed by people with diabetes – People with diabetes are often told not to consume alcoholic drinks. However, according to The Journal of Diabetes Nursing, it’s relatively safe for people with type 1 diabetes to occasionally and moderately consume gin. Moreover, please do not mix it with sugar-based mixers because that will defeat the whole point.
- Helps with coughs – Juniper berries are infused with numerous oils that can help with coughs. One can infuse the drink with ginger, tulsi and other herbs to help relieve that sore throat. The juniper berry’s essential oils have a texture that aids in the fight against dreadful colds. However, avoid chilling gin because the oils and smells alter and reduce its potency. The berries used to make gin are a natural remedy because they have antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and antioxidant qualities.