Wearing a wig can be a great way to get a full head of hair and enhance your look, particularly for women. But it takes time and the right supplies to maintain your women’s human hair wigs properly so that it remains natural-looking and durable. Read this article for instructions on washing your wig safely and effectively.
How do you wash your wig?
If you have a wig, you need to know how to wash it! The main way to wash your wig is in the sink. While you can technically wash your wig in the shower while wearing it, it’s generally not recommended.
Here are some tips on how to wash your wig:
- Fill a bucket or sink with lukewarm water and add shampoo. Make sure you’re using a shampoo that is ideal for hair pieces or wigs. If not, look for a shampoo that is sulfate and parabens free. Swish the wig around in the water until it is fully saturated.
- Rinse the wig in gentle circular motions with the water still running.
- Gently squeeze out the excess water and transfer the wig to a hair dryer set on low heat. Do not use too much heat or you could damage your wig. Alternatively, you can use a cold setting, which is particularly useful if you are wearing black human hair wigs.
- Remove excess moisture with a towel, then allow the wig to air dry.
How Often Do You Need to Wash a Wig?
Wigs are delicate pieces of equipment and should be treated as such. Follow these simple guidelines to ensure your wig is properly cared for:
- Wash your wig once a week in cool water with a mild shampoo. Avoid using harsh chemicals or fabric softeners on your wig.
- Condition the wig every time you wash it by combing through the hair with a brush and a light conditioner. Use enough conditioner so that the wig feels heavy, but not wet. Let it sit for about five minutes before rinsing it off.
- Styling your wig is optional, however, it can help keep it looking its best.
- To style, gently mist your wig with a spray bottle filled with water, spritz evenly all over, then style as desired. Alternatively, leave-in conditioner is a great product to use while it dries.
Don’t forget to tag us at @Superhairpieces and #Superhairpieces on your social media channels to get a shoutout! And make sure to like us on Facebook, follow on Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel!